In 2011, Swedish House Mafia sold out Madison Square Garden in 10 minutes. David Guetta headlined the Ultra Music Festival in Miami in front of 100,000 ravenous party people. This was the year when Electronic Dance Music (EDM) returned with a vengeance to make its rightful claim as a cultural force and a lifestyle. While dance clubs around the US have never been empty, the past 12 months saw the elevation of big electronic music festivals to brand new heights, with attendance at events like Electric Daisy Carnival, Ultra, Electric Zoo and Identity reaching record numbers in the hundreds of thousands. The spectacle of the DJ as rock star also went from strength to strength with the continuing assault of the mainstream by leading lights David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, and Deadmau5 to name just a few.
Most amazing of all, it was impossible to avoid the phenomenal influence of electronic dance beats on the Pop charts, either by EDM stars like David Guetta and Martin Solveig, or by Urban and Pop artists finding new success in hits that fuse dance beats with hip-hop and urban flavor to create a dynamic new hybrid. This trend started with Guetta’s breakthrough hits in 2009 and has become a force that continues to change the landscape of Top 40 radio.
To celebrate EDM’s resurgence and rise to prominence, Astralwerks is proud to present IN THE MIX: DANCEPOP ANTHEMS, a vivid snapshot of the scene as it stands, featuring bona-fide radio smashes, magnificent big room anthems and club bangers, and a cross-section of some of the most vital names in today’s electronic music spectrum. Included IN THE MIX is a previously unreleased Yuksek remix of Katy Perry’s “Peacock,” a smokin’ re-rub of David Guetta’s platinum chart-smash “Turn Me On” feat. Nicki Minaj, and chartbusters from Martin Solveig, Deadmau5 & Kaskade, NERVO, Duck Sauce, Swedish House Mafia and more.
Having been at the forefront of the ‘90s “electronica” explosion, the further evolution of house and electro music in the ‘ 00s, Astralwerks is proud to continue its legacy of bringing electronic music to a wider US audience into the next decade. Let’s get IN THE MIX.
IN THE MIX TRACKLISTING:
01) David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj – “Turn Me On” (Sidney Samson Remix)
02) Martin Solveig & Dragonette – “Hello”
03) NERVO feat. Afrojack & Steve Aoki – “We’re All No One” (Nervo Goes To Paris Remix)
04) Katy Perry – “Peacock” (Yuksek Remix) – EXCLUSIVE TRACK
05) Swedish House Mafia – “Save The World”
06) Cobra Starship (feat. Sabu) – “Make Me Feel” (Disco Fries Remix)
07) Deadmau5 & Kaskade – “I Remember”
08) Duck Sauce – “Barbra Streisand”
09) Eric Prydz – “Proper Education” (Remix of Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick In The Wall Part 2”)
10) Tinie Tempah – “Written In The Stars” (Arcade Eastside remix feat Taio Cruz)